A 17-year-old passenger surprised the crew of Copa Airlines Flight 208 on Tuesday when he opened an emergency door and jumped from the plane after it had landed at San Francisco International Airport.
The teenager, an American citizen, slid down the plane’s wing to fall to the ground and started running across the airfield before a construction crew stopped him, a local ABC affiliate reports.
Police are reportedly questioning passengers of the flight, which originated in Panama City, and police dogs are searching the area where he landed and ran.
In a statement, the airline said “a Copa crew member closed the exit door, and the aircraft proceeded to the gate where all other passengers and crew disembarked safely” after the young man jumped from the plane. “The passenger has been taken into custody by law enforcement. We are cooperating fully with the relevant authorities to support the ongoing investigation.”
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body