A 17-year-old passenger surprised the crew of Copa Airlines Flight 208 on Tuesday when he opened an emergency door and jumped from the plane after it had landed at San Francisco International Airport.
The teenager, an American citizen, slid down the plane’s wing to fall to the ground and started running across the airfield before a construction crew stopped him, a local ABC affiliate reports.
Police are reportedly questioning passengers of the flight, which originated in Panama City, and police dogs are searching the area where he landed and ran.
In a statement, the airline said “a Copa crew member closed the exit door, and the aircraft proceeded to the gate where all other passengers and crew disembarked safely” after the young man jumped from the plane. “The passenger has been taken into custody by law enforcement. We are cooperating fully with the relevant authorities to support the ongoing investigation.”
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time