Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
U.S. tests ballistic missile amid North Korea tensions
The U.S. has launched another intercontinental ballistic missile — its fourth this year — amid rising tensions with North Korea, which is also testing such missiles. Meanwhile, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the U.S. is not trying to “collapse” the North Korean government, but is instead hoping to “have a dialogue” with Pyongyang at some point.
Christopher Wray is confirmed as new FBI chief
The Senate has confirmed Christopher Wray to be the new director of the FBI. Wray, who is replacing James Comey, said he would do his job independent of politics. “My loyalty is to the Constitution and the rule of law. Those have been my guideposts throughout my career, and I will continue to adhere to them no matter the test,” he said.
NASA is hiring a planetary protection officer
NASA is looking to bring on board a planetary protection officer, who will make sure U.S. space missions don’t end up accidentally contaminating an alien world or other planets with Earth’s particles. The new full-time employee would be paid up to $187,000 a year.
The White House said President Donald Trump weighed in on his son’s statement “as any father would.”
In a new lawsuit, Fox News is accused of coordinating with the Trump administration to push a false story.
Britain’s Prince Philip will make his last solo charity appearance today.
An Arizona woman, who left her child in a desert to die, has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Amazon[/f500link ignore=true] is trying to fill 50,000 job openings today. Here’s how to get hired.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World