• John Heard, Emmy-nominated actor known for his memorable roles in Home Alone and The Sopranos, at 71.
• John Kundla, Basketball Hall of Famer and Minneapolis Lakers coach who led the team to five NBA championships, at 101.
• Barbara Sinatra, philanthropist and former model who was married to singer Frank Sinatra for 22 years, at 90.
• Stubbs the cat, honorary feline mayor of the tiny town of Talkeetna, Ala., at 20.
The Tour de France, by Chris Froome, for the fourth time. The Kenyan-born British rider finished just 54 seconds ahead of Colombia’s Rigoberto Urán overall.
A small white bag containing particles of moon dust, by a mystery buyer, for $1.8 million at a Sotheby’s auction.
Luxury British shoe company Jimmy Choo, to U.S. fashion brand Michael Kors, for roughly $1.2 billion.
This appears in the August 07, 2017 issue of TIME.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms