During a discussion about consciousness, Nolan, who co-created the show with Lisa Joy, said the questions about our relationship to AI are changing his perspective on the world.
“The more we think about these questions, the more it feels like your mind is turning inside out. So it might be best for us after doing this for a little longer that we all just mutually agree to stop,” he said. “I’ve concluded we must be in a simulation of some kind. I just did a tequila shot with Ed Harris at Comic-Con.”
Harris of course played the Man in Black in the first season of the show. Nolan also joked that they want to franchise the show into a theme park where fans are the stars.
Season two of Westworld does not yet have a release date.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliana Dockterman at email@example.com