In honor International Day of Rock N Roll on Thursday, a celebration that’s been observed in memory of the legendary first Live Aid benefit concert held on July 13, 1985, showcasing rock icons like The Who, Queen, David Bowie, and Led Zeppelin.
Now, over 30 years later, Spotify is paying homage to the legacy of Rock N Roll on the”World Day of Rock” by highlighting the top 20 most listened to globally rock artists of 2017 so far. Ranging from classic groups like The Rolling Stones and Metallica to contemporary artists like Coldplay and Twenty One Pilots, it’s an homage to one of music’s most outrageous and beloved genres.
“We’re proud to celebrate the International Day of Rock N Roll in the best way possible – by listening to ‘Rock This,’ the go-to destination for music fans to discover the latest in the Rock world,” Allison Hagendorf, Head of Rock at Spotify, wrote in a post on the company’s blog. “It’s where you’ll find the newest songs from favorites like Foo Fighters and Queens Of The Stone Age, as well as from emerging bands like Royal Blood and Kaleo.”
Hagendorf has also created a playlist spanning the “full spectrum of rock” in honor of the International Day of Rock N Roll. Listen to it and see the 20 most popular rock acts below.
- Twenty One Pilots
- The Beatles
- Linkin Park
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Panic! A The Disco
- Arctic Monkeys
- Fall Out Boy
- Green Day
- Pink Floyd
- Guns N’ Roses
- The Rolling Stones
- The 1975
- Kings of Leon
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma