Comedian John Oliver has become an official honoree in Stephen Colbert’s new “Trump Attacked Me on Twitter” Hall of Fame. The ever-incisive Oliver took a moment to reflect on the confusing “meaningless lie” in the tweet that got him into the illustrious Hall — a fateful missive sent out back in October 2015.
“John Oliver had his people call to ask me to be on his very boring and low rated show. I said “NO THANKS” waste [sic] of time & energy!” Trump wrote back then.
Oliver, who hosts HBO’s popular Last Week Tonight weekly news program, humbly admitted that his show may be “boring” and a “waste of time and energy.” But he disputed the suggestion that he — or any of his employees — had ever invited Trump on the show to begin with.
“That is a lie. It was very odd to be on the receiving end of a lie that was that confident from someone who is now president. We never asked him,” he said. “So it was a total lie, and a meaningless lie. In fact a lie so meaningless, it almost becomes meaningful,” he mused. “Because what kind of moron would lie about something this pathetic?”
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving