Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
Military plane crash kills at least 16
At least 16 people have died after a U.S. military plane crashed into a field in Mississippi, according to the Associated Press. It’s unclear what caused the plane to go down. The Marine Corps only said the aircraft had “experienced a mishap.”
Capitol police arrest 80 health care protesters
Eighty people who were protesting the Senate GOP’s health care bill at the Capitol in Washington, D.C. were arrested Monday, authorities said. The demonstrators were charged with crowding, obstructing or incommoding, according to the U.S. Capitol Police.
Amazon Prime Day is here
Amazon is offering more than 100,000 deals to Amazon Prime customers on its highly anticipated Amazon Prime Day. The mega online shopping event started at 9 p.m. Monday and lasts for 30 hours. Here are all the deals announced so far, on everything from ice cream to electronics.
Donald Trump Jr. was reportedly told of Moscow’s effort to help his father before meeting a Russian lawyer.
The Minnesota police officer who shot Philando Castile will be paid $48,500 in a buyout.
The puppeteer behind Kermit the Frog has left his role with The Muppets.
Coffee drinkers really do live longer, according to two new studies.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This