While in Russia, Stephen Colbert sent a tweet to President Donald Trump and announced he was considering a White House run.
“I am here to announce that I am considering a run for President in 2020, and I thought it would be better to cut out the middle man and just tell the Russians myself,” Colbert said on the Russian late-night show Evening Urgant on Friday.
As the American TV host continued poking fun at allegations that President Trump’s campaign may have colluded with Russia, Colbert added, “If anyone would like to work on my campaign, in an unofficial capacity, please just let me know.”
Russian host Ivan Urgant joined in on the fun saying, “It’s a pleasure to drink with the future U.S. President. To you, Stephen. I wish you luck. We will do everything we can so you become President.”
Colbert tweeted a picture of himself in Russia to the President Thursday with the caption, “Don’t worry, Mr. President. I’m in Russia. If the ‘tapes’ exist, I’ll bring you back a copy!”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org