Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
Russia says it may have killed top ISIS leader
Russia is seeking to confirm whether it has killed top ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in an airstrike in Syria late last month. The May 28 attack targeted a meeting of ISIS leaders, according to the Associated Press. Previous reports of al-Baghdadi’s death last year had turned out to be false.
Alex Jones releases clips ahead of controversial Megyn Kelly interview
Alex Jones, the conspiracy theorist and “InfoWars” radio host, has released “pre-interview” clips ahead of his Megyn Kelly interview, which stirred up controversy this week and prompted anger from families of victims of the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting. Jones published 30 minutes of footage on his YouTube channel late Thursday. NBC is set to air the interview Sunday.
Thousands turn out for Congressional Baseball Game
Tens of thousands of people attended the Congressional Baseball Game in Washington, D.C. Thursday in a show of unity for the Republican members of Congress who were shot at during an earlier practice in Alexandria, Va. The bi-partisan charity event raised more than $1 million for charities. The attack left Republican Majority Whip Steve Scalise in critical condition and in need of more surgeries.
Amazon announced that it is buying Whole Foods in deal valued at $13.7 billion.
The U.K. Parliament was put on lockdown after a man was brought down by police.
American college student Otto Warmbier suffered “severe” injuries to all areas of his brain while imprisoned in North Korea.
Vice President Mike Pence has hired a personal lawyer to handle the Russia investigation.
The Bat-Signal flashed in Los Angeles to honor late Batman actor Adam West.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at email@example.com.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer