At first, it might feel like you’ve uncovered an alternate version of TV show 13 Reasons Why while watching Selena Gomez’s new music video for recent single “Bad Liar.”
There’s a youthful Gomez riding a bike on a sun-soaked road to an all-American high school, walking uncomfortably through the hallways past slamming lockers, and looking distracted in class and on the basketball court — all hallmark moments in the teen drama she helped produce.
But the video for Talking-Heads-sampling “Bad Liar,” which Gomez has billed on social media as a “film” and is directed by Girls veteran Jesse Peretz, actually takes place in a retro universe where the singer herself stars as a number of different characters. Besides reliving her high school days, she also dons a mustache to play the school principal, swipes on red lipstick to play her 70s-style mother, and appears in a Farrah Fawcett-inspired wig to play the bubbly gym teacher with a curious connection to multiple members of her music video family. Looks like all of Selena’s many characters are keeping some secrets from each other, as they lip sync along with the catchy, minimalist song’s lyrics.
At the very end, Gomez also teases new work under the title “Fetish.” The season of new, rejuvenated Selena is clearly just getting started.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Raisa Bruner at email@example.com