A government official in Flint, Mich. has resigned from his post after he was recorded using a racial slur to blame African-Americans for the city’s water crisis.
“Flint has the same problems as Detroit: f—ing ni—– don’t pay their bills. Believe me, I deal with them,” Phil Stair said in the recording, which was posted online by Truth Against The Machine.
Stair, who is white, was sales manager of the Genesee County Land Bank, a government organization that manages tax-foreclosed properties, MLive.com reported.
The recording was made by Chelsea Lyons, an environmental activist and journalist for the website who has raised concerns about the Land Bank.
“I am deeply troubled by,” Michele Wildman, executive director of the Land Bank, said Monday, according to MLive.com. “The citizens of Flint deserve to have trust in their public officials.”
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time