A government official in Flint, Mich. has resigned from his post after he was recorded using a racial slur to blame African-Americans for the city’s water crisis.
“Flint has the same problems as Detroit: f—ing ni—– don’t pay their bills. Believe me, I deal with them,” Phil Stair said in the recording, which was posted online by Truth Against The Machine.
Stair, who is white, was sales manager of the Genesee County Land Bank, a government organization that manages tax-foreclosed properties, MLive.com reported.
The recording was made by Chelsea Lyons, an environmental activist and journalist for the website who has raised concerns about the Land Bank.
“I am deeply troubled by,” Michele Wildman, executive director of the Land Bank, said Monday, according to MLive.com. “The citizens of Flint deserve to have trust in their public officials.”
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving