Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May called for a shakeup in counter-extremism and counter-terrorism efforts in a speech made on Downing Street following Saturday evening’s terrorist attack in London.
May said that the United Kingdom is experiencing a “new trend” in the terrorism threat and hinted at a broad crackdown on extremism in the country. She added that while the major political parties have temporarily suspended their national campaigning, the General Election will go ahead as planned on Thursday.
Read her remarks in full below.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve