Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May called for a shakeup in counter-extremism and counter-terrorism efforts in a speech made on Downing Street following Saturday evening’s terrorist attack in London.
May said that the United Kingdom is experiencing a “new trend” in the terrorism threat and hinted at a broad crackdown on extremism in the country. She added that while the major political parties have temporarily suspended their national campaigning, the General Election will go ahead as planned on Thursday.
Read her remarks in full below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction