Londoners are uniting across the city following multiple attacks on and around the London Bridge Saturday night that left at least seven people dead in addition to three suspected assailants. Shocked citizens are pooling resources to offer shelter, food and support to witnesses and others affected by the incidents, which British Prime Minister Theresa May said are being investigated as “potential acts of terrorism.”
A van veered off the road of the city’s iconic bridge at around 10 p.m., colliding with a crowd of pedestrians. The vehicle proceeded to drive to nearby Borough Market, a trendy area packed with bars and restaurants, where three men then exited the vehicle and began attacking bystanders with knives. Seven people have died and more than 40 others injured, according to metropolitan authorities. The three suspected attackers have been fatally shot by police.
The incident follows less than two weeks after a devastating attack in Manchester, where a suicide bomber detonated a device in an arena during an Ariana Grande concert. The attack killed 22 people, many of them young girls.
Read more: What to Know About the London Attack
Concerned Londoners took to social media late Saturday to express support for those affected by the latest tragedy, many offering to shelter and feed people who needed help. Places of religious worship opened their doors to those in need; Mosques, churches, temples and Sikh Gurdwara throughout the city have announced that they are ready to help.
Many individuals offered to open up their homes and serve cups of tea. Others volunteered services such as transport to safety.
World leaders have also taken to the Internet to express their grief and solidarity.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating