Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt will appear at the White House Press briefing with press secretary Sean Spicer Friday, one day after President Donald Trump announced he’s pulling the United States out of the Paris climate agreement.
“In order to fulfill my solemn duty to protect America and its citizens, the United States will withdraw from the Paris climate accord but begin negotiations to reenter either the Paris accords or really an entire new transaction on terms that are fair to the United States,” Trump said Thursday. “So we are getting out, but we will start to negotiate and we will see if we can make a deal that’s fair.”
Top officials in Europe and China are set to move forward with the agreement without the U.S. Former President Barack Obama said Trump’s decision “reject[s] the future,” and other supporters of the deal are concerned about the effect U.S. withdrawal will have on the climate, investment in alternative energy sources and international relationships.
The briefing starts at 1:30 pm. Watch live above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com