Trump previously told aides he intends to pull out of the agreement but had not decided exactly how to do it. Even as reports in multiple news outlets Wednesday indicated that Trump planned to leave the accord, the President declined to confirm or deny anything publicly, only saying on Twitter late Wednesday that he would be making his announcement Thursday.
Only two of the 197 nations in the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change declined to sign the agreement: Nicaragua and Syria. The former declined to sign because of concerns the agreement would not do enough to combat climate change.
News that Trump would leave the agreement immediately drew condemnation from Democratic lawmakers and prominent business leaders like Elon Musk.
Trump’s announcement is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. E.T. You can watch it live above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Alana Abramson at Alana.Abramson@time.com