Right around midnight on Tuesday, President Donald Trump sent a strange message to his 31 million Twitter followers. Without any clear context, the President’s late night tweet read: “Despite the constant negative press covfefe.”
That is all.
Twitter users were quick to question what the fragment could possibly mean, and how the curious phrase might be read aloud.
Before long, #covfefe was trending on the site, as users came up with all manner of applications for the newly minted word, which hasn’t yet made it into the Merriam Webster Dictionary.
Here are few more takes from across the Twittersphere:
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was