Right around midnight on Tuesday, President Donald Trump sent a strange message to his 31 million Twitter followers. Without any clear context, the President’s late night tweet read: “Despite the constant negative press covfefe.”
That is all.
Twitter users were quick to question what the fragment could possibly mean, and how the curious phrase might be read aloud.
Before long, #covfefe was trending on the site, as users came up with all manner of applications for the newly minted word, which hasn’t yet made it into the Merriam Webster Dictionary.
Here are few more takes from across the Twittersphere:
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now