Right around midnight on Tuesday, President Donald Trump sent a strange message to his 31 million Twitter followers. Without any clear context, the President’s late night tweet read: “Despite the constant negative press covfefe.”
That is all.
Twitter users were quick to question what the fragment could possibly mean, and how the curious phrase might be read aloud.
Before long, #covfefe was trending on the site, as users came up with all manner of applications for the newly minted word, which hasn’t yet made it into the Merriam Webster Dictionary.
Here are few more takes from across the Twittersphere:
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating