Right around midnight on Tuesday, President Donald Trump sent a strange message to his 31 million Twitter followers. Without any clear context, the President’s late night tweet read: “Despite the constant negative press covfefe.”
That is all.
Twitter users were quick to question what the fragment could possibly mean, and how the curious phrase might be read aloud.
Before long, #covfefe was trending on the site, as users came up with all manner of applications for the newly minted word, which hasn’t yet made it into the Merriam Webster Dictionary.
Here are few more takes from across the Twittersphere:
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body