Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
President Trump responds to deadly Portland attacks
President Donald Trump condemned the anti-Muslim attack in Portland that left two good Samaritans dead Friday. The President wrote on Twitter yesterday that the “violent attacks” are “unacceptable,” after a man spewing anti-Muslim slurs and harassing two young women on a light rail train fatally stabbed two people who had intervened. “The victims were standing up to hate and intolerance,” Trump added. His remarks came after some lawmakers and activist groups called for him to speak out against the fatal assault. Authorities said Jeremy Joseph Christian is suspected of killing 23-year-old Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche, and 53-year-old Ricky John Best.
Panama’s former dictator Manuel Noriega has died
Manuel Noriega, the former dictator of Panama, has died. He was 83. Noriega was booted from his position in 1989 following a U.S. invasion after the Panama military fatally shot an unarmed American soldier in Panama City, according to the New York Times. Noriega was considered a onetime ally to the U.S.
Tiger Woods blames medication for DUI arrest
Tiger Woods was arrested in Florida yesterday on suspicion of driving under the influence. The golf legend said in a statement that he had an “unexpected reaction” to a mix of prescription medications following back surgery. He said alcohol was not involved. “I understand the severity of what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Woods said.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for a Baghdad bomb blast that killed 10 people.
North Korea said the U.S. should expect a “bigger gift package” of precision-guided missiles.
Democrats want Jared Kushner to address reports that he proposed a secret line with Russia.
President Trump’s Communications Director Mike Dubke has reportedly resigned.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating