The AnBot that patrols Henan’s Zhengzhou East Railway Station can monitor air quality, detect emergencies like fires and use facial-recognition technology to follow potential criminals.
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
These 8-ft.-tall solar-powered machines help police direct traffic in the capital of Kinshasa.
This “bomb robot,” which touts an explosive device on its arm, was used by Dallas police in 2016 to kill a gunman suspected of fatally shooting five officers.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at email@example.com