The AnBot that patrols Henan’s Zhengzhou East Railway Station can monitor air quality, detect emergencies like fires and use facial-recognition technology to follow potential criminals.
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
These 8-ft.-tall solar-powered machines help police direct traffic in the capital of Kinshasa.
This “bomb robot,” which touts an explosive device on its arm, was used by Dallas police in 2016 to kill a gunman suspected of fatally shooting five officers.
This appears in the June 05, 2017 issue of TIME.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now