While dropping by The Ellen Show to discuss her extensive Billboard Music Awards opening performance, Nicki Minaj had some unexpected advice for Ellen DeGeneres: it’s time to start a feud.
“I’m new to this rap game — of course, I’m in it now,” DeGeneres admitted. (Minaj name-drops DeGeneres in her cutting song “No Frauds,” which is itself a track that responds to the fraught history between Minaj and Remy Ma, an ongoing feud that has proved musically prolific for both rappers). “Should I have a beef with someone?” Ellen asked. “What should I do to get really entrenched into the rap game?”
Minaj suggested finding someone who would be her rival, which was a difficult task for sunny Ellen.
“I really like everybody. It’s hard. I’ve had to really make somebody up. Reese Witherspoon. I’m furious at her,” she deadpanned.
But Nicki knew exactly who the perfect foil could be: “Let’s say Oprah was Ellen’s rival,” she offered mischievously, despite Ellen’s protests. “No, but that’s the point. You and Oprah are two amazing women. So let’s say you started getting jealous of her or something, and you throw a jab or something, and she throws one back. It’s so much fun, and then you make a rap, and she makes one, you know?”
So there we have it: to find fertile ground for fiery rap, identify your enemy and then have “so much fun.”
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror