Usually the bride is the center of attention at a wedding.
But sometimes she has to share the spotlight. When Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed on Saturday, some of the most prominent attention-grabbers in the ceremony were the bridesmaids and page boys, particularly Prince Harry’s niece and nephew Princess Charlotte and Prince George.
Likewise, when Pippa Middleton, the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, married millionaire hedge fund manager James Matthews last year, it was perhaps even more the case she wasn’t the only star of the show. Then as now, Princess Charlotte and Prince George were members of the wedding party.
The two young royals are in good historical company, as these photos show. The children of the U.K. royal family have been a hit at society weddings for decades.
In fact, one image shows George’s father William, the Duke of Cambridge, as a page boy in the ceremony for his uncle Prince Andrew’s marriage to Sarah “Fergie” Ferguson at Westminster Abbey in 1986. As TIME reported in the Aug. 4, 1986 issue: ”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time