Usually the bride is the center of attention at a wedding.
But sometimes she has to share the spotlight. When Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed on Saturday, some of the most prominent attention-grabbers in the ceremony were the bridesmaids and page boys, particularly Prince Harry’s niece and nephew Princess Charlotte and Prince George.
Likewise, when Pippa Middleton, the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, married millionaire hedge fund manager James Matthews last year, it was perhaps even more the case she wasn’t the only star of the show. Then as now, Princess Charlotte and Prince George were members of the wedding party.
The two young royals are in good historical company, as these photos show. The children of the U.K. royal family have been a hit at society weddings for decades.
In fact, one image shows George’s father William, the Duke of Cambridge, as a page boy in the ceremony for his uncle Prince Andrew’s marriage to Sarah “Fergie” Ferguson at Westminster Abbey in 1986. As TIME reported in the Aug. 4, 1986 issue: ”
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart