Jimmy Fallon took the opportunity to joke that President Donald Trump seeks inspiration from an unlikely source: noted patriot, Elle Woods.
Trump delivered his first commencement address as President on Saturday, speaking to the graduates at Liberty University, and Fallon couldn’t help but note a few (extremely common) inspirational similarities between Trump’s speech and the one delivered by Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) in Legally Blonde.
On Monday night’s episode of The Tonight Show, Fallon unveiled a video of clips of quotes from the two commencement addresses. For example, in the video, Reese Witherspoon’s character says, “We take our next steps into the world” while Trump’s speech said “you must go forth into the world.” They then both went on to talk about passion, having courage in your convictions, and most importantly, having faith in yourself and then ending with an enthusiastic “I did it!”
Perhaps it’s a funny parallel, but it’s pretty much a law that commencement speakers have to include themes of passion, courage and conviction in their speeches.
Watch the jokes from the host’s monologue below.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now