NBC has ordered a new series from Kaling and The Mindy Project executive producer Charlie Grandy titled Champions, according to Deadline.
The series will be a sibling comedy centering around a “charismatic gym owner with no ambition” and his “gorgeous idiot” brother whose lives get turned upside down when a high-school fling of the former (Kaling) shows up at their doorstep with his teenage son.
Kaling and Grandy will write the series, which stars Anders Holm, Andy Favreau, J.J. Totah, Mouzam Makkar and Nina Wadia, while Kaling’s role will be as a reoccurring guest, Deadline reports.
Kaling tweeted out news of the deal on Saturday.
NBC hasn’t invested too much in comedy this year. Outside of Seth Meyers’ A.P. Bio, which was picked up earlier this week, the network has no new comedy series announced except for a new season of Will & Grace.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org