NBC has ordered a new series from Kaling and The Mindy Project executive producer Charlie Grandy titled Champions, according to Deadline.
The series will be a sibling comedy centering around a “charismatic gym owner with no ambition” and his “gorgeous idiot” brother whose lives get turned upside down when a high-school fling of the former (Kaling) shows up at their doorstep with his teenage son.
Kaling and Grandy will write the series, which stars Anders Holm, Andy Favreau, J.J. Totah, Mouzam Makkar and Nina Wadia, while Kaling’s role will be as a reoccurring guest, Deadline reports.
Kaling tweeted out news of the deal on Saturday.
NBC hasn’t invested too much in comedy this year. Outside of Seth Meyers’ A.P. Bio, which was picked up earlier this week, the network has no new comedy series announced except for a new season of Will & Grace.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out