In an unusual flip of the script, Today Show host Matt Lauer got to interview fellow talk show host Ellen DeGeneres during a visit to her set. The conversation quickly turned to the topic of the moment: the President. And DeGeneres, who’s known hosts anyone from internet-famous kids to all kinds of celebrities, made it clear that she has no interest in speaking with Donald Trump.
“What’s your relationship with Donald Trump, do you know him at all? Have you had a chance to interview him?” Lauer asked DeGeneres initially.
“I mean, I know him from Celebrity Apprentice because when we first started the show… we filmed something with him. I flew in his helicopter and did a bit with him,” she explained of her brief past connection to the president. “So I knew him then. I have not spoken to him since he he’s run for president or become president.”
Lauer then asked if she’d be interested in having him on the show. But after a thoughtful pause, DeGeneres’s answer was an unequivocal negative.
“Um, no,” she responded, to applause from the studio audience. “Because I’m not gonna change his mind. He’s against everything I stand for.” DeGeneres, who received the 2016 Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama, has been vocally critical of Trump.
Watch the full clip above.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror