In an unusual flip of the script, Today Show host Matt Lauer got to interview fellow talk show host Ellen DeGeneres during a visit to her set. The conversation quickly turned to the topic of the moment: the President. And DeGeneres, who’s known hosts anyone from internet-famous kids to all kinds of celebrities, made it clear that she has no interest in speaking with Donald Trump.
“What’s your relationship with Donald Trump, do you know him at all? Have you had a chance to interview him?” Lauer asked DeGeneres initially.
“I mean, I know him from Celebrity Apprentice because when we first started the show… we filmed something with him. I flew in his helicopter and did a bit with him,” she explained of her brief past connection to the president. “So I knew him then. I have not spoken to him since he he’s run for president or become president.”
Lauer then asked if she’d be interested in having him on the show. But after a thoughtful pause, DeGeneres’s answer was an unequivocal negative.
“Um, no,” she responded, to applause from the studio audience. “Because I’m not gonna change his mind. He’s against everything I stand for.” DeGeneres, who received the 2016 Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama, has been vocally critical of Trump.
Watch the full clip above.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving