Leave it to Solange Knowles to make wearing a puffer jacket of a dress look chic on the Met Gala red carpet. The A Seat at the Table singer sported a black, oversized bubble jacket with a train and matching trousers as well as a crisp white button down and matching black and white shoes, all by Thom Browne.
In an Instagram posted to her account, Knowles sent love to both Browne and the designer inspiring the night’s theme, avant garde designer Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons, but she also gave a shout out to an unexpected source of inspiration for her outfit: Missy Elliott.
With that context in mind, Solange’s elegant puffer jacket of a gown bears a striking resemblance to Missy’s memorably inflated garbage bag ensemble from “The Rain [Supa Dupa Fly]” video. Talk about real recognizing real.
See Solange’s tribute to Missy and then watch Missy’s OG fashion statement below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time