The dinner, held Saturday night, was a markedly different affair from years past — in a break with precedent, Trump did not attend the dinner, opting instead to bolster his fans at a rally in Harrisburg, Pa.
Despite Trump’s absence, Minhaj, the featured speaker for the event, went ahead in roasting the president and noting the importance of the First Amendment.
“Now that King Joffrey is president, it feels like the Red Wedding in here,” he said. “For the record, the WHCA is a group of journalists; they are not King Joffrey’s goons.”
Read his speech below:
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time