The dinner, held Saturday night, was a markedly different affair from years past — in a break with precedent, Trump did not attend the dinner, opting instead to bolster his fans at a rally in Harrisburg, Pa.
Despite Trump’s absence, Minhaj, the featured speaker for the event, went ahead in roasting the president and noting the importance of the First Amendment.
“Now that King Joffrey is president, it feels like the Red Wedding in here,” he said. “For the record, the WHCA is a group of journalists; they are not King Joffrey’s goons.”
Read his speech below:
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer