President Donald Trump‘s proposed border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border is more unpopular than ever — with double the number of Americans opposing its construction than those who want it built, according to a new poll.
A recent Quinnipiac poll, which surveyed 1,062 Americans between April 12 and 18, shows 64% of American voters oppose building the wall, while 33% support it. About 3% of voters said they weren’t sure how the wall made them feel.
The border wall, which is one of Trump’s biggest campaign promises, has faced more opposition since he entered the White House, according to the poll.
The recent findings come as Trump and Congress have four days to agree on a government spending bill, which the White House has pushed to include funding for the construction of the border wall. If an agreement is not reached by midnight on April 28, the government will shutdown.
Democrats have estimated the the border wall would cost nearly $67 billion to construct, and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has told Republicans not to include funds for the wall in the spending bill.
The wall has been the subject of some of Trump’s recent tweets, where he vowed that Mexico would eventually pay for the wall’s construction. On Monday, he touted the wall as “a very important tool in stopping drugs from pouring into our country and poisoning our youth.”
The Wall is a very important tool in stopping drugs from pouring into our country and poisoning our youth (and many others)! If
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 24, 2017
The Quinnipiac poll had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023