The Florida state senator that described colleagues using racial slurs and sexist insults has resigned.
Frank Artiles called fellow lawmaker Senator Audrey Gibson a “b-tch” and used the n-word to describe some fellow Republicans, according to the to the Miami Herald, which also noted that the legislative body has not been able to accomplish much since the scandal.
In a resignation letter addressed to Senate President Joe Negron and obtained by the Herald, Artiles apologized to friends, family and fellow legislators, and called himself a “distraction” to his colleagues.
“I am responsible and I am accountable and effective immediately, I am resigning from the Florida State Senate,” he wrote.
Artilles could not immediately be reached for comment.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org