Shawn Mendes, the talented teen heartthrob who launched his music career on social media, returned to the charts Thursday with a bang, dropping the new single “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back.”
The “Treat You Better” singer’s new song is an energetic, up-tempo tune that rocketed to the top of the iTunes charts in ten countries, including the U.S., within hours of its release. Electric guitar and a hint of a tropical house lilt give the otherwise simple song a strong shot at maintaining steam as the weather heats up, too. Known for rock-leaning earworms like “Stitches” and ballads like “Mercy,” Mendes finds a sweet spot here, perhaps taking a page out of Ed Sheeran‘s surefire rock-pop playbook as he toes the line between acoustic strummers and party-ready crowd-pleasers.
The popular teen star is currently gearing up to launch a tour to support his sophomore album Illuminate next week, and “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” should inject some new energy into his fan base’s voracious appetite for the Mendes experience.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out