Shawn Mendes, the talented teen heartthrob who launched his music career on social media, returned to the charts Thursday with a bang, dropping the new single “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back.”
The “Treat You Better” singer’s new song is an energetic, up-tempo tune that rocketed to the top of the iTunes charts in ten countries, including the U.S., within hours of its release. Electric guitar and a hint of a tropical house lilt give the otherwise simple song a strong shot at maintaining steam as the weather heats up, too. Known for rock-leaning earworms like “Stitches” and ballads like “Mercy,” Mendes finds a sweet spot here, perhaps taking a page out of Ed Sheeran‘s surefire rock-pop playbook as he toes the line between acoustic strummers and party-ready crowd-pleasers.
The popular teen star is currently gearing up to launch a tour to support his sophomore album Illuminate next week, and “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” should inject some new energy into his fan base’s voracious appetite for the Mendes experience.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.