Reinaldo De Jesus Henao, 36, was arrested on Friday on suspicion of grand theft and possession of stolen property, the Indio Police Department said in a statement. Several Coachella attendees noticed their phones went missing during the festival and were able to track Henao through the “Find My iPhone” feature. Henao was detained by festival security until police arrived to find that his backpack contained more than 100 cellphones.
Police said many of the cellphones were returned to victims over the weekend. The rest were turned into Coachella’s lost and found section.
Neither Henao nor any lawyer representing him have commented.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.