Played by Kelly Marie Tran, the Resistance maintenance worker was described by director Rian Johnson as having a major role in the film.
“[She] has the biggest new part in the movie and ironically is played by the smallest actor,” he said of Tran. “She’s not a soldier. She’s not looking to be a hero, and she gets pulled in a very big way into an adventure in this movie with Finn [John Boyega].”
Tran also appeared onstage at the event to chat about the role, revealing she had to keep her involvement in the franchise secret from everyone, including her family.
“They didn’t know for four months,” she said. “I told them I was doing an indie movie in Canada. At one point, I actually got some maple syrup so I could bring it back to them so they actually thought I was in Canada.”
Tran has previously appeared in a series of CollegeHumor Originals, as well as NBC’s sitcom adaptation of About a Boy.
Watch the trailer for The Last Jedi above.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve