Featuring Rey (Daisy Ridley) holding a lightsaber that embodies aspects of both Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Kylo Ren’s (Adam Driver) signature weapons, the image seems to hint that the scavenger-turned-Force-trainee may become a Gray Jedi. In the Star Wars galaxy, this term refers to any Force-sensitive person who walks the line between light and dark.
The beam from Rey’s saber splits the poster in half, with one side featuring Luke’s face and the other Kylo Ren’s, further indicating that our heroine might be torn.
However, Luke’s face is larger than Ren’s, seeming to suggest that, even if she possesses both light and dark abilities, the light will ultimately win out — the true mark of a Gray Jedi.
The Last Jedi hits theaters Dec. 15, 2017. Watch the trailer above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at email@example.com