A man who was handcuffed while speaking with police poured lighter fluid on his body in a Denver park on Thursday, setting himself on fire.
The man was allegedly fighting with one or more people in Denver‘s Civic Center Park, the Denver Post reported, when he began to set himself on fire shortly before or as police were arriving on the scene. One witness, Sean Corbett, told the Post that he, “flicked a lighter while he was in handcuffs.”
“We do believe this was a suicide attempt,” Denver police spokesman Doug Schepman said to the Post.
The man’s identity has not been released, according to the Post, and he was taken to a hospital for treatment.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer