A man who was handcuffed while speaking with police poured lighter fluid on his body in a Denver park on Thursday, setting himself on fire.
The man was allegedly fighting with one or more people in Denver‘s Civic Center Park, the Denver Post reported, when he began to set himself on fire shortly before or as police were arriving on the scene. One witness, Sean Corbett, told the Post that he, “flicked a lighter while he was in handcuffs.”
“We do believe this was a suicide attempt,” Denver police spokesman Doug Schepman said to the Post.
The man’s identity has not been released, according to the Post, and he was taken to a hospital for treatment.
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time