LeBron James is honoring his roots.
James will open the “I Promise School”, which will be aimed at helping vulnerable children, according to ESPN. The Cleveland Cavaliers star is working with the public schools in his hometown of Akron, Ohio for the initiative.
The school will open in fall 2018 for children in third and fourth grades, with plans to have grades one to eight established by 2022. The “I Promise School” will be supported by James’ family foundation.
“This school is so important to me because our vision is to create a place for the kids in Akron who need it most — those that could fall through the cracks if we don’t do something,” said James.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space