As the White House ordered strikes on Syria late Thursday, several of those old tweets were recirculating on Twitter, especially two in which he called for congressional approval before launching any military actions against the Middle Eastern country.
Following the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons on his own people, killing more than 80, Trump announced Thursday’s attack in an official statement.
His stance on U.S. Syria policy under then President Obama dates back to 2013 when Trump began repeatedly criticizing the potential for American involvement.
Below see Trump’s past positions that began to resurface as Trump hinted at military action on Thursday.
June 16, 2013
Aug. 28, 2013
Aug. 29, 2013
Sept. 5, 2013
Sept. 6, 2013
Sept. 7, 2013
Sept. 9, 2013
Sept. 11, 2013
Sept. 13, 2013
Sept. 12, 2014
Sept. 17, 2014
Sept. 20, 2014
This isn’t the first time that Trump’s past tweets have complicated things for the president. Here are 19 tweets that came back to haunt President Trump.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time