Debate is continuing on the Senate floor over Judge Neil Gorsuch’s nomination to be an Associate Justice on the Supreme Court.
Senator Jeff Merkely is delivering a speech that has several hours, in an attempt to draw attention to the debate and the nomination. The speech is not a filibuster, according to the Associated Press.
More than 40 Democrats have said they will vote against the nomination, leaving it vulnerable to a filibuster, which has increased the likelihood of the GOP and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell triggering the “nuclear option.” The phrase refers to changing Senate rules to confirm Gorsuch with a majority of 51 votes, instead of the current 60 needed to break a filibuster.
The vote on Gorsuch’s fate is expected on Friday. Watch the debate live, above.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time