White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer announced the donation Monday during his press briefing, handing a check for $78,333.32 to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and Tyrone Brandyburg, superintendent for Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
“As a veteran myself, I tell you, I am thrilled at the President’s decision to donate the check he did today,” Zinke said Monday.
He said he plans to put the money toward infrastructure and maintenance of the country’s national battlefields.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com