Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer tweeted Saturday that he was finally going to ditch his 1990s-era LG flip phone.
Then the Democrat tweeted that the announcement was just an April Fools’ joke.
The senior senator from New York is often seen walking around Capitol Hill with the outdated mobile device practically glued to his ear.
“I bought 10 of them in case they run out,” he told The Huffington Post in July 2014.
One would think that the politician would need to be able to answer emails on the fly at all hours of the day, but he thinks smartphones pose a security risk. As WGRZ-TV summarized the argument that he made at a March 2016 news conference in western N.Y.:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve