Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer tweeted Saturday that he was finally going to ditch his 1990s-era LG flip phone.
Then the Democrat tweeted that the announcement was just an April Fools’ joke.
The senior senator from New York is often seen walking around Capitol Hill with the outdated mobile device practically glued to his ear.
“I bought 10 of them in case they run out,” he told The Huffington Post in July 2014.
One would think that the politician would need to be able to answer emails on the fly at all hours of the day, but he thinks smartphones pose a security risk. As WGRZ-TV summarized the argument that he made at a March 2016 news conference in western N.Y.:
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022