President Donald Trump kidded Vice President Mike Pence about his marriage amid online debate over Pence’s rule of avoiding eating dinner with women other than his wife.
At a White House signing ceremony Friday, Trump turned to Pence and said “He has one hell of a good marriage going” and grabbed his arm jokingly.
In a profile in the Washington Post earlier this week, an old anecdote from a 2002 story resurfaced that Pence never eats alone with another woman or attends an event where alcohol is served without his wife Karen.
Called the “Billy Graham rule” for the famed evangelical preacher, the restriction on eating alone has long been common in conservative Christian circles, but it drew criticism online.
“If there’s alcohol being served and people are being loose, I want to have the best-looking brunette in the room standing next to me,” Pence said in the 2002 story.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive