Just a week after releasing “The Heart Part 4,” Kendrick Lamar has blessed listeners yet again with not only a new single, but an accompanying video chock full of religious allusions and gorgeous visuals.
However, one of the most striking moments in the video is Kendrick’s embrace of a woman’s natural beauty, where he raps “I’m so f—kin’ sick and tired of the Photoshop/Show me somethin’ natural like afro on Richard Pryor/Show me somethin’ natural like a— with some stretchmarks.” The image that he uses to drive his lyrics home is of split screen that shows a woman wearing heavy makeup, straight, slicked back hair and a glitzy ensemble; in the next screen, she’s shown with a bare face, natural hair and a white tank top that shows off her stretch marks to full effect.
Kendrick’s body positive message was not lost on the Internet, who promptly weighed in with glowing praise for the rapper.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was