There were 184 people killed at the Pentagon on 9/11, when hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 77 into the building in Arlington County, Virginia. In total, nearly 3,000 people were killed in the attacks at the Pentagon and World Trade Center and on Flight 93.
The newly released FBI images show firefighters and first responders working at the scene, surrounded by destruction and debris from the building and the plane in the aftermath of the attack.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve