The team had invited the President to perform the ceremonial task, the team’s spokesman told reporters in remarks reported by ESPN. Thirteen of Trump’s predecessors, including George W. Bush and Barack Obama, threw out the first pitch for the team on opening day, ESPN reports.
The tradition dates back to 1910, when President William Howard Taft threw the pitch for the team, then known as the Washington Senators.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time