Which breed earns the title of top dog in America? That depends on where you live.
Labrador retrievers are the most popular dog breed in 44 states, according to the American Kennel Club, which maintains purebred dog registries nationwide and released new rankings earlier this month. German shepherds came in first in four states, while French bulldogs and beagles are the most popular in one state each.
Since Labrador retrievers have dominated the top spot in the Kennel Club’s ranking for more than 25 years, we also looked at the second-place and third-place dogs in each state, which showed that German shepherds and golden retrievers are among Americans’ favorites too.
Take a look below to see the three most popular breeds in each state.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow