President Trump pressured the hard-right House Freedom Caucus Friday morning over their likely opposition to the Republican healthcare plan.
“The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!” the president tweeted hours before the controversial bill is set for a vote in the House.
The Freedom Caucus huddled Thursday night to discuss whether they could support the Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare (which defunds Planned Parenthood, as Trump points out). The consensus out of the meeting was ‘no’: about 20 members of the group stand firmly in opposition to the bill, which, when combined with the moderates who oppose the plan, would be enough votes to sink it.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time