In March, poachers broke into Thoiry Zoo, near Paris, overnight and killed a 4-year-old white rhino, then hacked off his horn. Police are investigating the incident.
On Feb. 20, an armed gang broke into a rhino orphanage in KwaZulu-Natal and removed two rhinos’ horns in front of staff members. One rhino was killed and the other had to be euthanized.
During the summer of 2013, seven rhinos were killed by poachers in a series of coordinated attacks within the space of one week in national parks and wildlife sanctuaries across Kenya.
This appears in the April 03, 2017 issue of TIME.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time