A turtle in Thailand that underwent surgery earlier this month after eating almost a thousand coins humans tossed into its pool died Tuesday from intestinal issues, veterinarians said.
The female green sea turtle, nicknamed “Omsin” or “Piggy Bank,” died of intestinal obstruction that blocked her protein intake, the Associated Press reports. Nickel toxicity also marred her immune system.
The animal had consumed more than 900 coins, which were thrown into her pool by people seeking good luck. She was about 25 years old.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction