The female green sea turtle, nicknamed “Omsin” or “Piggy Bank,” died of intestinal obstruction that blocked her protein intake, the Associated Press reports. Nickel toxicity also marred her immune system.
The animal had consumed more than 900 coins, which were thrown into her pool by people seeking good luck. She was about 25 years old.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time