The ranking Democrat on a House intelligence committee laid out the public evidence on Russian meddling in the 2016 election Monday.
Speaking at a committee hearing involving FBI Director James Comey and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers, Rep. Adam Schiff spelled out information that has been made public so far about Russian meddling and possible ties to the Trump campaign.
“If the Trump campaign, or anybody associated with it, aided or abetted the Russians, it would not only be a serious crime, it would also represent one of the most shocking betrayals of our democracy in history,” he said.
Read Schiff’s full statement below:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement