THE LITTLE MERMAID
Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda will become part of Disney’s world when he writes the music for the remake of the 1989 underwater fantasy, which has not yet named its cast or director, alongside returning composer Alan Menken.
THE LION KING
After raking in nearly $1 billion with last year’s live-action remake of The Jungle Book, Jon Favreau will have another go with Disney, directing Atlanta’s Donald Glover, above, as Simba. James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa.
Disney issued a casting call for multitalented Middle Eastern actors to star in its Guy Ritchie–directed take on the 1992 musical. The remake will face no less scrutiny than the original for how it handles controversial cultural elements.
Whale Rider director Niki Caro will become the fourth woman to solo-direct a $100 million movie when she helms Disney’s take on the legend of a woman who becomes a warrior in ancient China, due November 2018.
This appears in the March 27, 2017 issue of TIME.
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism