Representative Steve King (R., Iowa) sparked controversy on Sunday for a tweet that expressed support for the far-right Dutch politician Geert Wilders.
King, who has a history of making racially provocative comments, tweeted: “Wilders understands that culture and demographics are our destiny. We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.” His comment quoted a cartoon from the account Voices of Europe, which described itself on Twitter as “Anti EU / Pro Europe / MAGA.”
King has regularly espoused white-supremacist ideologies — inciting outrage last year when he asked which “subgroup” contributed more to advancements in civilization than white people and when he put a Confederate flag on his desk.
His Sunday tweet earned praise from former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke.
King’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time