The 90-second clip is largely devoted to recapping the events of the previous six seasons using voiceovers and giant stone versions of the major house sigils. But things really start to get interesting around the halfway mark when Daenerys delivers her now-iconic line about Westeros’ spinning wheel of power.
“Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell — they’re all just spokes on a wheel,” she says as the dragon sigil rises to the top once more. “This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground.”
However, the voiceover notably omits the second part of her declaration—”I’m not going to stop the wheel, I’m going to break the wheel”—seeming to hint that everything may not go according to plan for Khaleesi.
It’s then, of course, that the dragon sigil ominously begins to crumble.
Game of Thrones returns to HBO for a seventh season on July 16, 2017.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating